Alvaro José Rodríguez
Natural Resources and Energy
Phone: 57 - 1-3257300
Alvaro José Rodríguez is a Partner of Posse Herrera Ruiz. His practice focuses on Natural Resources and Energy, with special emphasis on Oil and Gas, Mining and Environmental Law, Acquisitions and Divestitures, and Financing of the power industry.
Alvaro José works on structuring, documentation and negotiation of oil and gas and mining transactions, including host country agreements, shareholder agreements and operating agreements.
He has advised major international companies in their acquisition and subsequent operation of exploration and production assets in Colombia, in competitive bidding, farm-ins, mergers, options and other agreements. He also has worked in M&As in other sectors, such as power generation, biofuels and gas transportation, as well as with international banks in financing transactions, including syndicated loans and reserve-based facilities.
He was an advisor to the Minister of Environment in negotiations of the Kyoto Protocol and of the Free Trade Agreement between Colombia and the United States of America.
Álvaro José has an LLM from the London School of Economics and Political Science, and a J.D. from Universidad de los Andes. He speaks Spanish and English.
- Legal advisor to Bioenergy in the development (including environmental issues) and financing of a sugar cane production and ethanol project, in the municipality of Puerto López.
- Legal advisor to BNP acting as lead agent in the negotiation of syndicated reserve based loans to several Colombian E&P companies, including Pacific Rubiales Energy, Gran Tierra Energy and others.
- Legal advisor to Wood Group, an oil services company, in the sale to General Electric of the assets and contracts related to its electric submersible pumps (ESP) business in Colombia.
- Legal advisor C&C Energía in the acquisition of certain E&P assets from Ramshorn International.
- Legal advisor to Termorubiales in issues related with compliance of environmental regulations in a new thermal power plant.
- Legal Advisor to Citibank in a secured loan in connection with the debt restructuring of Norway's Interoil Exploration and Production (IOX).
- Legal advisor to a syndicate of international banks led by ABN AMRO Bank N.V., in a loan granted to Empresa de Energía de Bogotá S.A. E.S.P., E.E.B. (Colombia), to finance the acquisition of the natural gas transportation assets of Ecogas.
- London School of Economics and Political Science Master of Law LL.M., 1995 London, U.K.
- Universidad de los Andes J.D., 1994 Bogotá, Colombia.
- Natural Resources and Energy