Phone: 57 - 1-3257300
Ernesto Cavelier is a partner of Posse Herrera Ruiz. He works in Corporate Law, M&A, and in Technology, Media and Telecommunications with an emphasis in Digital Law. He is also co-director of the intellectual property department and specializes in intellectual property licensing processes and aspects of intellectual property in relation to business law.
In the area of digital law he advises national and international clients in the launch of new products, in drafting terms and conditions of mobile apps or platforms, as well as in cloud services, use of software as a service – SaaS, drafting or reviewing contracts, e-commerce and similar matter. On the other hand, he advises clients in technology licenses, software and license agreements, copyrights in the digital media, and alliances among companies, mergers and acquisitions, and other commercial transactions.
Ernesto has been active as a lecturer and university professor; last year he gave a talk at the Chile Colombia Chamber of Commerce on Legal Aspects of Blockchain; in 2017 he participated in a conference organized by CENTI on the principle of net neutrality and the free competition regime. He also participated as moderator in a panel on the same topic at the 5th Conference of the Technology Law Committee of the IBA in Sao Paulo in April 2017. In November 2016 he participated as a lecturer in a course on spin offs for universities and State entities offered by WIPO in Bogotá. At the request of WIPO, he has participated as a speaker in its well-known course on technology transfer in San José, Costa Rica, and in Santiago, Chile; In recent years, his course on technology transfer contracts has been given several times at the El Rosario University, at the Sergio Arboleda University in Bogotá, and at the Alexander von Humboldt University in Armenia, Colombia. In 2017 and 2018, he gave two courses at El Rosario University, the first about Contract drafting techniques and the second about Consumer Law.
Last year he was received as numbered member of the Academy of Jurisprudence of Colombia with a dissertation about Regulation of the collaborative economy.
As for his studies, he graduated as a lawyer from El Rosario University in 1972; later he specialized in comparative law at the University of New York (Diploma – 1973) and in European integration law at the University of Amsterdam (Diploma – 1974). He later obtained an Executive MBA degree from the University of Claremont in California, USA (1993); later on he specialized in licensing of intellectual property with Licensing Excutives Society – LESI in the US; recently he earned a diploma from the Externado University of Colombia in Consumer Law (2018). He speaks Spanish, English and French.
- Legal advisor to Biofilm S.A. in a patent sublicensing contract for Sigdopack and management of the international portfolio of patents for Biofilm S.A., a petrochemical company.
- Legal advisor for Nutresa (previously Compañia Nacional de Chocolates) in a law suit before the Council of State, in which the Tesalia brand was awarded, and management of the national and international portfolio of trademarks in their food product brands.
- Management of national and the international trademark portfolio of the Auteco motorbike manufacturer.
- Management of national and international trademark portfolio of Grupo Sura.
- Management of national and international trademark portfolio of Alqueria, a dairy product company.
- Management of trademark portfolio and sanitary registrations of Prebel S.A.
- Management of the trademark portfolio of the Armani, Converse y Bajaj brands in Colombia.
- Management of the international trademark portfolio of Avery Dennison for Latin America.
- Legal advisor to Cochlear Americas, hearing aid medical equipment, in obtaining health registrations.
- Licensing Executives Society U.S.A. and Canada Intellectual Assets Management, 2008 Alexandria, U.S.A.
- Peter F. Drucker Management Center Claremont University Business, 1993 California, U.S.A.
- Amsterdam University European Law, 1975 Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- New York University Comparative Law, 1974 New York, U.S.A.
- Universidad del Rosario J.D., 1972 Bogotá, Colombia.
- Corporate Law
- Intellectual Property