Phone: 57 - 1-3257300
Ernesto Cavelier is a partner of Posse Herrera Ruiz. He works in Corporate Law, M&A, and in Technology, Media and Telecommunications with an emphasis in Digital Law. He is also co-director of the intellectual property department and specializes in intellectual property licensing processes and aspects of intellectual property in relation to business law.
Intellectual assets often play a role in contracts or transactions where their advice is requested, after having acted for clients in matters in which intellectual property is always the relevant asset, especially in technology licenses, software development agreements and licenses, trademarks and contracts of assignment of names, consortiums, JVs, and other forms of alliances between companies, mergers and acquisitions, and other commercial operations.
Ernesto’s experience is solid in the drafting of technology transfer agreements and license negotiations such as research and development, early technologies, patent licenses, complex transactions of companies in various industries, either in Colombia or in other countries.
Ernesto has been active as a lecturer and university professor; more recently, he participated in a conference organized by CENTI and CEDEC on the principle of net neutrality and the free competition regime. He also participated as moderator in a panel on the same topic at the 5th Conference of the Technology Law Committee of the IBA in Sao Paulo in April 2017. In November 2016 he participated as a lecturer in a course on spin offs for universities and State entities offered by WIPO in Bogotá. At the request of WIPO, he has participated as a speaker in its well-known course on technology transfer in San José, Costa Rica, and in Santiago, Chile; In recent years, his course on technology transfer contracts has been given several times at the Universidad del Rosario, at the Sergio Arboleda University in Bogotá, and at the Alexander von Humboldt University in Armenia, Colombia. He speaks Spanish, English and French.
- Legal advisor to Biofilm S.A. in a patent sublicensing contract for Sigdopack and management of the international portfolio of patents for Biofilm S.A., a petrochemical company.
- Legal advisor for Nutresa (previously Compañia Nacional de Chocolates) in a law suit before the Council of State, in which the Tesalia brand was awarded, and management of the national and international portfolio of trademarks in their food product brands.
- Management of national and the international trademark portfolio of the Auteco motorbike manufacturer.
- Management of national and international trademark portfolio of Grupo Sura.
- Management of national and international trademark portfolio of Alqueria, a dairy product company.
- Management of trademark portfolio and sanitary registrations of Prebel S.A.
- Management of the trademark portfolio of the Armani, Converse y Bajaj brands in Colombia.
- Management of the international trademark portfolio of Avery Dennison for Latin America.
- Legal advisor to Cochlear Americas, hearing aid medical equipment, in obtaining health registrations.
- Licensing Executives Society U.S.A. and Canada Intellectual Assets Management, 2008 Alexandria, U.S.A.
- Peter F. Drucker Management Center Claremont University Business, 1993 California, U.S.A.
- Amsterdam University European Law, 1975 Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- New York University Comparative Law, 1974 New York, U.S.A.
- Universidad del Rosario J.D., 1972 Bogotá, Colombia.
- Corporate Law
- Intellectual Property