Natural Resources and Energy
Phone: 57 - 1-3257300
Francisco Urrutia is a Special Counsel at Posse Herrera Ruiz. He is co-head of the Natural Resources and Energy Department. His practice focuses on joint ventures, negotiations and government relations in the oil and gas, mining and power generation sectors.
Francisco has held many important corporate positions at leading companies, including: President of Legis (the leading Colombian publisher of legal materials), Vice-president of Panamco (Coca-Cola bottlers), and Legal Department Manager and Coal Marketing Division Manager of Esso Colombiana Ltd. He was Deputy Director General of Taxes and Advisor to the Minister of Finance, and was a member of the Board of Directors of Ecopetrol, Cerro Matoso and Ocensa.
Francisco has an LL.M. from Harvard Law School and a J.D. from Universidad de los Andes. He speaks Spanish, English and French.
- Legal advisor to Vale in the acquisition for US$300 million of Argos S.A., through its Carbones del Caribe subsidiary, and subsequent sale for US$407 million to Goldman Sachs subsidiaries, of the mining concession “El Hatillo” and the coal deposit "Cerro Largo", as well as Sociedad Portuaria Río Córdoba “SPRC”, with port facilities in the Atlantic coast, and participation in the Fenoco railroad to the port.
- Legal advisor to Grupo Fast in the design, structuring and start-up of VivaColombia, the first true low-cost airline in Colombia.
- Member of the Board of Cerro Matoso (a BHP Billiton subsidiary, today South 32) and legal advisor in the renegotiation of its nickel concession contracts with the Colombian government.
- Legal advisor to Diageo in the Law that reduced taxes on imported spirits, in relation to agreements with the Colombian Government, and in the negotiations of the free trade agreements with the U.S.A., Canada and the European Union.
- Legal advisor to several mining, oil and gas multinationals in their startup, operations and investments in Colombia, including Anadarko, APCO Properties, Atlantis Gold, Kingsdale Capital Markets, Platina Resources, Prism Resources, Saxon Energy, Liberty Metals & Mining Holdings and NovaCopper.
- Legal advisor to AngloGold Ashanti in relation to mining concessions and class action suits.
- Harvard Law School Master of Laws LL.M., 1974 Cambridge - MA, U.S.A.
- Universidad de los Andes J.D., 1973 Bogota, Colombia.
- Natural Resources and Energy
- Mergers and Acquisitions