THE BRAZILIAN PATENT OFFICE IMPLEMENTS NEW FILING REGULATIONS
The Brazilian Patent Office issued Resolution No. 190 demanding electronic filing of several documents and applications which could be submitted in paper format.
The following must necessarily be filed electronically:
- All documents that do not need to be filed simultaneously with requests, such as certified copies of priority applications and assignments.
- Amendments to applications.
- Sequence listings submitted after filings.
- Anticipated publication requests.
- Recordals of changes of name and address of owners.
- Offers to license of patents.
- Fast-track examination requests.
- Request for inclusion in the PPH (Patent Prosecution Highway) program.
- Request for certificates.
- Request for re-issuance of letters-patent and certificates of addition of an invention.
- Request for search and preliminary patentability exams.
- Request for search and preliminary patentability exam complements.
Since paper format filings are no longer available and implementing these changes may cause inconveniences, it is recommended to file complete requests if possible or to submit missing documents well in advance in order to guarantee compliance of deadlines.